Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Good News For Cold War Medal

This is possibly the best news this year concerning the Cold War Medal.
Congressman Joe Sestak of Pennsylvania has said he would back efforts for
a medal
February 15, 2009







Dear Mr. Terwilliger,



Jason Marmon of my staff shared with me your email regarding the Cold War Medal. Two years ago I supported a proposal to establish such a medal. The language passed the House in the FY 2008 National Defense Appropriations Act (NDAA) but was ultimately stripped following President Bush's veto.



Last year, it did not make it to the floor last year due to budgetary concerns and competing priorities and that fact that it has faced opposition from several Senators. Senator Clinton and Rep. Andrews have been driving it these past two years.



My staff has learned that there is an effort to work with the Obama Administration to have the medal added as a part of the defense budget. I have voiced my support for such an effort. Should that effort fail, I will support a legislative effort to have it added.


So the hunt goes one, everyone contact your elected officials. Tell them
to introduce or cosponser legislation for a Cold War Service Medal.

Jerald Terwilliger
Vice Chairman
American Cold War Veterans, Inc.
www.americancoldwarvets.org
"We Remember"

1 comment:

  1. This is great news. I need a bill number before I write my elected members. I hope after this is accomplished, we will work on how the VA treats us. They deny some benefits unless you were on active duty for at least one day during a " period of war". It does not say combat. One could sit out the war in Miami and it would still count.

    ReplyDelete