Beginning March 17, 2014 veterans with a VA disability rating of 100 percent permanent and total (P&T) may receive expedited processing of claims for Social Security Disability benefits.
Both the VA and Social Security pay benefits of disability. However, their programs and criteria for receiving benefits are very different.
According to the Social Security, a VA rating of 100 percent Permanent and Total does not guarantee that you will receive Social Security disability benefits.
The Social Security Administration says that to be approved for Social Security benefits you must meet Social Security's definition of "disability." It goes on to say we consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:
1. You cannot do the work you did before.
2. We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medial condition(s); and
3. Your disability is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
If you receive VA compensation, this will not affect your Social Security benefits.
If you are a veteran rated 100 percent P&T in order to receive expedited processing for Social Security Disability benefits you must apply to Social Security. This can be done in one of three ways.
1. Fill out your application on line Social Security Disability Application
2. Call the toll free number 1-800-772-1213 for the deaf or hard of hearing you can call at TTY 1-800-325-0778
3. Call or visit your local Social Security Office, location and phone number can be found in your telephone directory.
I urge every veteran to first of all apply for your Veterans Administration benefits. If you are/or become Permanent & Total apply as soon as possible for your Social Security Disability benefits. It will take some time before your are approved.
---- Jerald Terwilliger Former Chairman American Cold War Veterans "We Remember" ---------------- "And so the greatest of American triumphs... became a peculiarly joyless victory. We had won the Cold War, but there would be no parades." -- Robert M. Gates, 1996